Momofuku Nishi Chef de Cuisine
Nishi, meaning “West”, opened in January 2016. True to its name, it’s Momofuku’s first restaurant on the west side. Located in New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood, guests can choose from a la carte offerings for lunch and dinner. Nishi’s Bo Ssäm and Pok Pok x Nishi Fried Chicken large format meals are meant for sharing and served during dinner.
About the Position
The Chef de Cuisine will carry out our company food service standards and values. S/he will manage, train, and mentor all BOH staff while overseeing day to day administrative duties including inventory and costs. The individual should possess a passion for food, the ability to lead, coach and train staff and a strong work ethic.
- Oversee and ensure that company standard operating procedures are met.
- Oversee and systemize all food production; responsible for managing inventory and purchasing of products.
- Ensure food cost goals for restaurant are met by utilizing company systems and procedures.
- Oversee all ordering duties for food, paper, and cleaning supplies.
- Ensure all food, paper, and cleaning supplies are accounted for and are with budget
- Work alongside Human Resources to maintain appropriate staffing levels.
- Manage daily performance of all BOH team members to build and develop a team that exceeds company standards and expectations.
- Manage all BOH employees including hiring, firing, training, coaching, scheduling and disciplining In partnership with the Executive Chef, interview, select and train all BOH new hires (dishwashers, cooks, chefs, etc.)
- Oversee all schedule and payroll duties for BOH; ensure all labor goals are being met.
- Work with GM/Exec Chef to push restaurants financial and culinary growth of the property.
- Work with Exec Chef and Directory of Culinary Operations to set yearly budgets and capital expenditures.
- Primary coordinator for all facility related repairs and maintenance.
- Oversee and manage the kitchen during prep and service ensuring that service runs smoothly.
- Handle all guest concerns and suggestions pertaining to the kitchen and food.
- Promote safety and proper sanitation amongst all staff. Ensure that all staff and managers are trained and follow department of health protocols.
- Ensure all managers are certified with the department of health.
- Oversee kitchen/building facilities to insure safety and functional operations ranging from culinary equipment to building infrastructure.
- Develop ideas, recipes and menus for the restaurant.
- Responsible for the development of the Sous Chefs in leadership, training, and technical skills.
- Responsible for identifying and developing talent with in BOH staff to promote and develop talent with-in.
- Work with Exec chef and Director of Culinary Operations to develop and change overall culinary concepts.
Skills & Requirements
- 5+ years of BOH Management experience required
- Experience in a high volume kitchen is required
- Food Handler’s Certification required
- Must have thorough knowledge of techniques, methods and equipment used in preparing and cooking high quality food on a large scale required
- Must have considerable knowledge of food service management, values, nutrition, menu planning, and food health hazards and all necessary precautionary measures
- Adaptability to plan and modify menus to meet various requirements
- Experience with all BOH administrative duties; scheduling, ordering, inventory and invoicing
- Proven ability in teaching and mentoring kitchen employees
- Exceptional communication and supervisory
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Have interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all business contacts
- Work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays
- Able to effectively communicate in both written and oral forms
- Opening experience not required but a plus
- Experience with cost and labor management software a plus
The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, frequently lifting up to 25 pounds, occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds, sitting, standing, for 4 to 8 hours, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Momofuku reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of Momofuku or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Momofuku is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage or citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://momofuku.clearcompany.com/careers/jobs/a684c21f-4e85-a464-413a-6410e876a5e1/apply?source=610713-CS-26970 →