Executive Chef at Peaks of Otter Lodge in Bedford, VA
Our Exciting Work Environment
As old as the hills . . . Peaks of Otter has drawn settlers and travelers to the region for more than 8,000 years. The community whose vestiges remain to be explored today had its beginning in 1766 when Thomas Wood arrived from Pennsylvania.
The wife of one of Wood’s descendants would open her home as the area’s first lodging for travelers in 1834. By the late 1800s, Peaks of Otter would be home to some 20 families, a school, a church and a resort hotel.
In the mid 1900s, the location was selected for special attention as the National Parks Service developed recreation and service areas along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Abbott Lake was constructed and Peaks of Otter Lodge opened in 1964.
Today, we invite you to be part of the future of this storied natural and cultural destination as it continues to attract visitors and travelers in the 21st century.
The successful Executive Chef will work hands on in the kitchen with a small team and be in charge of all food preparation, presentation and menu development in collaboration with the Food and Beverage Manager. This is a hands on Executive Chef role where you will be working on the line on a daily basis. It is a small team and everyone pitches in to create amazing experiences for our guests.
- Reports to the Food and Beverage Manager who oversees all aspects of Food and Beverage.
Oversee food preparation and presentation, recipe development, menu rotation. Analyze menu and food costs, preparation of food costs and efficient menus/specials.
- Responsible for overall management of the kitchen, including Sous Chef, lead line cook, cooks, and dishwashers. Coordinate with Food and Beverage Manager for recruitment, training and development, and accountability of staff.
- Oversee inventory of food product and coordinates product ordering and receiving within corporate specifications.
- Assist Food and Beverage Manager in management of food and labor budget.
- Maintain a clean and orderly kitchen to comply with State and local Heath Department Regulations
- Hire, train, manage, and retain great associates
- Continually reviews and alters menus and signature items based on guest feedback and Delaware North Companies food standards
- Maintains knowledge of local competition and general industry trends
- Communicates desired specials and any shortages to the Food and Beverage Manager.
- Ability to control food waste and identify opportunities for improvement of food/labor costs
- Creates a highly functional, teamwork-orientated back of house team
- All functions are attained and maintained under the supervision of the Food and Beverage Manager.
- All other duties as assigned
- Associates Degree in Culinary Arts preferred.
- Five years culinary arts experience after graduation from accredited culinary school. Previous experience in a management role.
- Familiar with labor budget, menu development and food cost.
- Familiar with ordering inventory / inventory procedures.
- Familiar with health and sanitation guidelines.
- Knowledge of basic accounting procedures, controls, payroll costs, inventory and product costs.
- Excellent ability to multi-task, organization and communication skills.
- Ability to coach and lead a small team, train and develop others.
- Work closely with all other hotel departments.
- ServSafe certification & ACF Certification preferred.
- Required to obtain ACF certification within 2 years of employment.
Who We Are
Take your career beyond the ordinary—to the extraordinary.
At Delaware North, you’ll love where you work, who you work with, and how your day unfolds. Whether it’s in sporting venues, casinos, airports, national parks, iconic hotels, or premier restaurants, there’s no telling where your career can ultimately take you. We empower you to do great work in a company with 100 years of success, stability and growth. If you have drive and enjoy the thrill of making things happen – share our vision, grow with us.
Delaware North is one of the largest and most admired, privately-held hospitality companies in the world. Founded and owned by the Jacobs family for nearly 100 years, it is a global leader in hospitality and food service with operations in the sports, travel hospitality, restaurants and catering, parks, resorts, gaming and specialty retail industries. Delaware North has annual revenue exceeding $3 billion with 60,000 employee associates. To learn more, visit www.delawarenorth.com.
All applicants will be subject to a pre-employment background check and may be subject to a pre-employment drug test depending upon the position and/or client requirements.
Delaware North Companies, Incorporated and its subsidiaries consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Delaware North is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com